Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What I learned from Socratic Seminar

During the Seminar I leared that there are a lot of problems in the world that people are facing, and I noticed that what our teacher(Mr. Carpenter) has been teaching us has helped us to answer these questions. He gave us suggestions which we can give the people in charge of the Reconstruction of the places we are learing about(Korea, and Haiti). In the Seminar I learned that you can't bring about change quickly, you must do it deliberately. I also learned that if you are to do something you should take your time and not rush into it(Diliberately)
When I say that you cant bring change fast, I mean that if were to bring change it has to be deliberately. To bring change to fast you are avoiding the problem like the compromise of 1850(like chadine said). To bring change to fast is not to bring change but further problems, if you are to bring change it must be at a steady pace. Deliberately, is how change should be brought forth. There are certain steps which need to be taken in order to ashure that the change will be worth it in the days to come.

Did anyone dominate the conversation? How did the group handle this?
- I dont think anyone in the group really dominated the conversation, but I do think that others had some very good ideas which we built off to start a discussion. The group handled this well and collected thoughts from this person and then carried forth a new perspective towards the question.

What evidence did you see of people actively listening and building on others' ideas?
How has your understanding of each EQ been affected by the ideas explored in this
seminar?
-I answered this question in the question above....

What was the best part of the seminar? The worst part?
-I would say that the best part of the Seminar is that some really good ideas were laid out on the table and that my head really started to think about all the possibilities. There wasn't really a worst part, but the time where people were interrupting the class and had to be dealt with.

What would you like to do differently as a participant the next time you are in a seminar?\
-I would like to have been the person starting this discussion because, I was just sitting there taking mental notes.
Summary: Overall I think that this seminar was a very good idea, because as a class I think that all the students interacted well with the EQ. We all had good ideas its just that some were better than the others.

1 comment:

Hussam Shabi said...

I love the way you wrote the questions and then answered them very accurately. Good Job!!!